Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today I am going to talk about the downside of multitasking. Multitasking is necessary in many things at work, school, home, and personal lives. It helps us get more things done in a specific matter of time. I multitask daily because I have to especially for my job. I'll be looking things up in the computer and answer the phone. I'll answer the persons question on the phone and begin to transfer them while I am printing off whatever it was I was looking f0r on the computer and then someone will walk in and I will smile or say hello.

Despite all of this I don't like multitasking. It takes of pressure to watch TV and do homework at the same time but my homework never gets done faster because of it. I found this on a sight called Penelope's Trunk and it gives advice about habits and the work place. This one I particularly thought was interesting.

2. Admit multitasking is bad.
For people who didn't grow up watching TV, typing out instant messages and doing homework all at the same time, multitasking is deadly. But it decreases everyone's productivity, no matter who they are. "A 20-year-old is less likely to feel overwhelmed by demands to multitask, but young people still have a loss of productivity from multitasking," says Trapani.

So try to limit it. Kathy Sierra at Creating Passionate Users suggests practicing mindfulness as a way to break the multitasking habit.

Mindfulness is something I need to practice. Perhaps calming down the speed I do things at and giving it more attention will help ease my stress in life.

1 comment:

  1. Now I find multitasking to be good sometimes. Yes it might cause some problems, but is it really that bad?

    ReplyDelete